Monday, September 19, 2011

Visit to Rheumy

So I went to the rheumatologist today. She asked where I was hurting. I'm not doing too badly today, so I told her that's what bugs me so much -- I feel like I'm going crazy when one day I feel terrible and the next day I can feel somewhat fine. She asked about the Elavil, I reminded her that I'm no longer taking it, and explained the outbursts that I had by only taking Elavil for 3 days. She said I was right to stop taking it and explained that sometimes it takes awhile to find the drug that will help each person.

She asked me if I would be willing to try one of the drugs that has been approved by the FDA for treatment of Fibromyalgia, those being Cymbalta and Lyrica. As we discussed the medications, she said Cymbalta helped suppress appetite, and since I am trying to lose weight, I decided I would give that one a go. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone, right? She gave me a month's worth of sample of Cymbalta.

When I got home, I skimmed over the insert that comes with the medication. Of course, it's in very tiny print, but I read over the side effects. There's constipation, nausea and diarrhea in higher incidences than the test subjects who received placebo (fake medication). It doesn't take a Mensa Club member to realize that nobody wants to eat when they have diarrhea and nausea! Yes, I'd like to lose weight, but not like that!

So I'm sitting here undecided about this medication. I am going to take a few days to think about it and discuss with my husband. If I do decide to take it, I think I will wait until he is off work, that way if I'm acting weird, he'll be around more to notice it. Also, if it makes me really sleepy, he will be able to make sure the kids are picked up from school, etc.

I told the doctor about the pins/needles feeling and my arms falling asleep. She said Fibro can cause all kinds of weird sensations like that. (I'm not going to accept that answer)

I told her about the tinnitis (ringing in ears) I am experiencing. I know it's common with Fibro, but she said that sometimes medications can cause that & recommended I try going off either the Flexeril or the Tramadol for a little bit (try one at a time) to see if discontinuing either one will stop the tinnitis.

RESOURCES

Here is the official website for Cymbalta

No comments:

Post a Comment