Friday, June 15, 2012

Stomach Pain After Eating Apples or Drinking Apple Juice

Back in September, I wrote a blog post about the stomach pain I had after eating apples. After reading a medical article about how taking antactids might actually CONTRIBUTE to increase stomach acid and pain, I have gradually gotten away from taking Tums or Pepto Bismol. I don't have any of either in the house right now as a matter of fact.

I still don't eat apples very often, but I have found that I am not so bothered by them now. I introduced them into my diet by dicing them and making a fresh fruit salad of apples, blueberries, raisins, and strawberries. I would mix the apples with about one teaspoon of lemon juice to prevent the apples from turning brown, so there's even more acid!

 I have actually been able to eat big bowls of that. Yesterday I used a juicer and juiced 4 Gala apples (it created about 1 cup of juice) and I drank it all with no problem.

Besides cutting out the antacids, another thing that has helped me is having warm beverages with meals and only having iced drinks in between meals. The warmer drink helps me digest the meal. I think digestion has/had a lot to do with my vitamin absorption problems, however at my most recent visit, I continued to be a little low on Vitamin D, even though I take 2,000 I.U. of Vitamin D a day. So now I take a Calcium supplement that includes even more D as a supplement to my supplement!

No comments:

Post a Comment